Tuesday, September 25, 2007

People and Places...!

Sorry for the long silence guys but have been a little busy lately with work and yeah, what I've been fearing for a long time happened a few days ago, my faithful old laptop died. I hope I'll be able to revive it back. Anyways, enough of my disquiets. What I wanted to write today is about "People and Places". How certain People and certain Places can change your life, change the way you think, the way you look at others, the way you live, the way you talk and hear things and the way you feel. Yeah, how they can change your life altogether.
I've been fortunate enough to have traveled a lot (well atleast more than an average person in India), and live in almost drastically different social and economic environments so far in my life. I am happy for how my life has molded me so far regarding most aspects of my character, but the others, I don't know if I'll ever be able to change them. I was born and bought up in a small village in India, but not long after I moved out of it an landed in a small township, and then later in one of the largest cities in India followed by a small city later, where I spent the last year of my life before flying away from my beloved home country.
It was in that small city, that I learnt life's most important lessons and met some of the most beautiful people in my life so far. When I say beautiful, I don't (only) mean physical beauty, which is but skin deep. It was in that city that I lived away from my family, alone, for the first time ever. I used to look forward for a call from mom/dad and also to meet my sweet and beautiful sis on weekends who was staying in a hostel then (I stayed as a paying guest for a year). I made some good and ever lasting friends during those last 3 years of schooling (high school). I never had developed close friendship with people before, 'coz by the time I was close to them and was at the point of trusting them, we used to move to a different place. But this place was different, it didn't take long for me to trust people here. My best year in the place was the academic year of 98-99 when I was in hostel.
I learned and experienced the term sacrifice and felt the joy that comes from helping your friends. The loyalty and trust we had developed was absolute. That was the year when I had some crushes for the first time and realised it. Had some daring adventures, challenging some unlikely people (our warden :-)) and taking care of friends when they were low. That place taught me what it was to love and be loved. It showed me the pain of loss.
When I moved out of the city to go to the neighboring place for the next two years, I saw how difficult it was to find faithful friends like I had back at school. I had not been so close to my parents, as I've been with my friends during those years. Those were the years when I developed an "Independent Lifestyle" kind of attitude. I no longer depended on other people to make my decisions, in some cases not even my parents. That has taken me a long way in my mostly successful life so far. I've never forgotten those friends and never will.
Fast-forward 4 years down my memory lane and I was in the land of opportunities. My independent lifestyle helped me a lot to get settled into the new place and make some nice new friends here too. Los Angeles was kind of a dream come true for me. I have always wanted to be able to go to the beach often. The university and the social life were so different here yet so much more fun. The competition here was fierce, yet I fared well and was happy for it until I lost something which I had been yearning for years. It was then that I saw how much of an introvert and reserved person I am, and how much I hesitate when it comes to some decisions, and how less about my life, I discuss with my faithful friends. But what is lost is lost forever and I cannot get it back, and I think since then I've been living life the way I should have been for a long time.

Thanks a lot friends for being there for me and giving me hope whenever I was in need of it. Thank you all very much for all your support and encouragements. And thanks a lot for for being my friend...

No comments: